How to make a Deposit
Depositing is quick and easy. Follow the below steps for advice on depositing by debit card, Apple Pay, or by other payment methods.
Deposit by Apple Pay or Card
You can add up to three debit cards to your Betfair account.
- Once you have logged in, click on the account symbol at the top right of the Home Page and then click ‘Deposit’
On browser you can shortcut to the Deposit Page by clicking on the Deposit button in the top right.
Alternatively you can visit our Deposit page available here.
- If using the App, then select ‘Deposit’ or ‘Deposit Funds’
- Select the ‘Popular’ Tab for Apple Pay/Card
- Make sure you have added your Apple Pay account/ card (to do that, read our article here)
- Select the payment method you wish to deposit from
- Add the amount you want to deposit in the box underneath that says ‘amount’ (The minimum deposit is shown to the right-hand side of the Deposit Funds screen along with the processing time and any applicable fees on browser. (Betfair will not charge any fees). On the app, it is under ‘Payment Information’
7. If using a card, enter your cards security code in the box at the bottom
8. Select ‘Pay’ for Apple Pay and ‘Deposit’ for a card. Providing all information is correct, this will now deposit the amount entered.
Deposit by Other Payment Methods
In step 3 in the above section (Deposit by Apple Pay/Card), if you select the Other Methods tab instead, you can deposit using alternative payment methods by selecting the payment type you wish to deposit with. Alternative Payment Methods such as these will have a scrolling bar across the top that will show you what payment methods are available to you in your country.
- Highlight the information icon beside Payment Information for further details about the payment type chosen along with any restrictions or conditions associated.
- When you have decided which payment type you wish to use, enter the amount using free text in the field provided or with one of the pre-determined amount buttons then click Deposit to confirm.
- The minimum deposit is shown to the right-hand side of the Deposit Funds screen along with the processing time and any applicable fees. (Betfair will not charge any fees)
Can I use a credit card to deposit?
Please be aware that there are some important restrictions with regards to credit card deposits, for both Irish and UK customers. For more information, click here
Do Betfair allow deposit by Instant Bank Transfers?
Yes! For more information on Instant Bank Transfers, a payment method powered by Open Banking, which can offer both Instant Deposits and Instant Withdrawals to eligible customers, please click here.
Why is my deposit being declined?
If your card deposit is being declined, it is because the card issuer is denying us permission to take funds from your card/bank account.
If you receive the message "transaction declined, please speak to your card issuer", your bank has declined the transaction. Your bank will never give a specific reason to Betfair for declining the transaction therefore we can only suggest you check to make sure that the expiry date has been entered correctly on your Betfair account or try an alternative card or payment method.
Failing this, you will need to contact your bank to discuss the matter further.
Why am I receiving extra security checks when making a deposit?
Your card issuer/bank may ask you to complete extra security checks when making payments online. This is due to a regulatory change made from:
• Ireland: 31st December 2020
• UK: 14th September 2021
The regulation applies to electronic payments throughout all countries within the European Economic Area (EEA), including card deposits made with Betfair.
This means that, before processing your deposit, you may be asked to confirm that it is you attempting to make the payment. Depending on who you bank with, this will be presented to you differently (E.G. Visa is Verified by Visa, Mastercard is Mastercard SecureCode, American Express is SafeKey, etc) This is known as Strong Customer Authentication (SCA), and it's a new way that banks are helping to protect consumers from fraud.
SCA will most often be completed through your mobile banking app, if you use it, or otherwise with a one-time passcode or a card reader. If this is the first time you have attempted a deposit with your card since the regulatory changes were made, you may be asked to set up your password in order to be taken through SCA in future. Please follow the instructions to get this set up and make a deposit. If you are having problems with this, you will need to contact your card issuer.
We recommend that your contact details are kept up to date both on your Betfair account and with your bank to ensure there are no issues with this process