What is an each way bet?
An each way bet is two bets in one. You are betting on your horse/greyhound etc to win the race and for it to ‘place’. Placing means it hasn’t won the race but it has finished in the places we pay out on. The number of ‘places’ we pay out on depends on the number of horses in the race.
On Exchange (Mobile and Browser):
Here you will be able to see the exact places paid out on before you add your selection to your Betslip
To do this, click into the race you want to place a bet on, selecting the ‘Each Way’ tab at the top of the market and selecting the ‘i’ just underneath:
In the above example, we are paying out for first (you will be paid for the win part and the place part of your bet), second (you will be paid out on the place part of your bet only) and 3rd (also paid out only on the place part of your bet).
On Sportsbook (Mobile App only)
On the Sportsbook App you can see how many places we pay out on by opening the race card and viewing the Win or E/W tab. The places are outlined above the runners (see image below).
On browser, this information is available on the horse racing tab or by clicking into the race itself. The information will be displayed above the runners.
How to Place an Each Way Bet
Once you have navigated to the Horse Racing Page using the ribbon at the top of the Home Page (it is black on browser and grey on the mobile app):
Select the race you want to place a bet on by clicking the arrow next to it (desktop/browser):
Or selecting the time of the meet (mobile app), after choosing the track:
Select the odds next to the horse you want to bet on to place:
This will then add it to your bet slip where you can select the each way box, add your stake and place your bet, using the ‘Place Bet’ button at the bottom of your slip. You should receive a confirmation of the bet by way of a receipt straight away.
On Mobile App:
Once you have clicked on the time of the meet, you should select the ‘Win or E/W’ tab and the odds next to the runner as you would usually. From here, the bet is added to your betslip. To make this an each-way bet simply tick the box:
Once you have navigated to the Horse Racing page and the track, select the time of the race as you would on the Sportsbook App:
In this example, I am betting on the 13:00 at Newcastle. The Each Way tabs looks slightly different on the next page:
If you want to place a normal Each Way bet, follow the same steps from herein as you would on Sportsbook (select the Each Way tab and then the odds of the horse you want to bet on, add the stake into the bet slip and click ‘Place Bets’).
Why haven’t I won as much as I thought I would?
This could be for a number of reasons:
- A horse pulled out of the race (non-runner) and a rule 4 deduction has been applied
- There was a dead heat
- You weren’t eligible for best odds guaranteed
- You placed an each-way bet and not a win only bet. This information will be on the bet receipt.
- You may have miscalculated the returns. You can double-check the returns due here
I’ve placed an each way accumulator or multiple and don’t understand the outcome?
- The important distinction to make with each way accumulators or multiples is that an each way bet is still only 2 bets - 1 for ALL selections to win and 1 for ALL selections to place. This means that if one of your selections does not go on to win or place - the whole bet is lost.
- For example, if you were to place a 6 horse each way accumulator and 5 horses won while the 6th horse placed – Your place accumulator would be a winning bet at reduced odds but as not all your horses finished in first place, the win accumulator would be a losing bet. This would then affect the total amount paid out to you.
What is Each Way Edge?
Each Way Edge is product which allows you to alter the place terms of your Each Way bet. With Betfair you can now choose to add extra places for a small decrease in price, or remove places to increase your potential return – all from within the betslip.
For more information around Each Way Edge, read our article here.