What is Betfair's definition of an outage?
The point at which Betfair disables betting on www.betfair.com/exchange.
Please note - Should Betfair Mobile and/or our API go down but the desktop still be accessible, you will be able to continue betting on the desktop site and this will not constitute an outage.
Betfair will disable betting when:
- Customers are unable to log in to or navigate the website.
- Customers are unable to view prices on the website.
- Customers are unable to place bets on the website.
- Any technical issue that prevents Betfair from safely managing markets
Will my bets be cancelled?
All Unmatched and keep bets will be cancelled in the following instances:
- Unmatched and keep bets will be cancelled on markets which are In-Play during an outage.
- Events that start during the outage will have unmatched and keep bets cancelled.
- Bets which, at the moment betting is disabled, are unmatched on outright winner markets where there may be material price changes due to related In-Play events. For example, a tennis tournament winner market when a tournament semi-final is taking place at the time an outage begins
- Horse Racing: In play matched bets can be voided back to the official Off time in case an outage occurs mid race
- Football: In play matched bets can be voided back to the start of the outage in case a Goal/Penalty/Kick-Off/VAR/Half Time/Red Card was not processed correctly
- General markets: If a market is scheduled to go in-play, but it doesn't get suspended, doesn't have unmatched bets cancelled or is not turned In-Play due to an outage, all bets matched on that market after the official start time will be voided
- All bets placed after the issue is resolved and market goes in-play will be managed normally. Customers are then responsible for managing their positions after the issue is resolved
How does Betfair manage markets during an Outage:
- Betfair identifies an issue that will result in betting being disabled
- Betfair decides to disable betting and suspends all In Play and close to Kick-Off events in order to avoid unfairly matched bets
- As soon as the issue is identified, Betfair follows the bets cancelling procedure mentioned in the ”Will my bets be cancelled?” paragraph
- Once a technical solution is found, Betfair will immediately ensure all bets impacted by the outage are correctly processed in line with our terms and conditions.
Glossary of terms
In-Play: Betting while an event is in progress.
Outright: Applies to betting on the winner of a tournament or competition, such as Wimbledon and longer-term markets such as the Champions League.
Unmatched Exchange bet: If Betfair cannot find a customer who wants to back or lay the bet you are requesting, your bet remains unmatched.
A Keep bet: The market will suspend as normal once the event starts, but when it turns in-play all bets which had the "keep" option selected will remain and be available for other customers to match. Bets which are kept in this way retain their original place in the queue to be matched.
- During an outage Customer Service may be busier than usual and if your query is not urgent please bear with us as we try to improve the site.
- Betfair aims to keep outages at a minimum and will always strive to reduce the number of outages and the resolution time of such instances.