Sportsbook: Each Way Terms
Jump to: Each Way Explained | Place Terms | Each Way Edge
Each Way Explained
An Each Way (EW, E/W) bet is essentially two separate bets: one for the horse to win, the other for the horse to place in any of the place positions offered in that race.
This means you can receive a return on your bet if your selection wins, but also if it just places.
When placing an each way bet, you stake an amount on both the win and the place.
So if you place £5 each way, you'll be placing £5 on the win and £5 on the place, a total of £10.
How to place an each way bet.
Sportsbook: ensure you tick the E/W box underneath your selection on the betslip
You can see that the total will automatically be doubled as it will look at the stake you want to place on each line of your bet.
Exchange: you'll need to look for the each way market on that race, if available this will typically be found on the left hand side of the screen.
The odds you get for the place part of your bet, whether for an each-way bet or to be placed bet, are known as 'place terms'.
Place terms are used to determine the pay-out of your bet.
- If you place a bet which is EW (1/5, 3 places) and your horse finishes in the top 3, you'll win your bet.
- The place portion of your bet will pay out at 1/5 of the odds that you took that horse for.
- Should the horse come first you'll receive the pay out on both the Win and Place portions of your bet.
- If your horse finished 2nd or 3rd you'll only receive the pay-out on the place section, the win part of your bet will be a loser.
You place £10 EW on a horse at 10/1, with place terms of 1/5. Your horse does not win, but places.
1. Apply the place terms, the odds for the horse become 1/5th of 10/1 = 2/1
2. Multiply the stake for the place portion of your stake (£5) by the new odds (2/1) = £10
3. Add the stake for the place portion (£5) to your winnings = £15
Total return: £15
Total profit: £5
What the place terms are and how many places are paid generally depend on how many runners are in the race
|Runners||Place Terms||No. Places Paid|
|1 - 4||-||Win Only|
|5 - 7||1/4 odds||1 and 2|
|8+||1/5 odds||1, 2 and 3|
12 - 15
|1/4 odds||1, 2 and 3|
|1/4 odds|| 1, 2, 3 and 4
Please note this may differ for Exchange Markets. Exchange markets will state the exact number of places either in the market title or in the rules.
Each Way Edge
Each Way Edge is a revolutionary new product which allows you to alter the place terms of your Each Way bet. With Betfair you can now choose to add extra places for a small decrease in price, or remove places to increase your potential return - all from within the betslip.